Drennon Davis is real funny, real innovative and real cute.
His imaginative twists on stand-up comedy involve original music, ridiculous characters and impressions and animation. He's bringing his live musical comedy show, the Imaginary Radio Program, to our city next week.
Drennon lives in San Francisco and has a birthmark on his tush. He likes doing musical impressions of Morrissey and Thom Yorke. He's "really good" at Tetris and his grandfather invented the thickness of Heinz ketchup (whaaaaaat?!). Also, he told us this: "I've never been to a strip club. Boners should be free, like nature intended them to be."
Now here's his take on...
The LP Questionnaire
Name: Drennon Davis
Do you have any nicknames? My name is difficult for some reason so I have too many nicknames: Dre, Dren, Drenny, D, DeeDee, Double D, Mr. D, Dr. D, Doctor Mister D, White Dr. Dre, D Bone Davis, Sweety (mom), Brennan (drunk strangers who can't remember my name), Denny's (Strangers who are hungry), Adrenaline (strangers on coke who think they are being clever), Asshole (enemies), Mr. Asshole (formal enemies), Faggot (my 7th grade PE teacher, Ms. Wynikin) and Dragon (which is apparently what my name means in Gaelic. Seriously, I just found that out, fuck yeah.)
1. Pretend you’re 15. Name three songs you'd put on a mix tape for your girlfriend/boyfriend. First off, girls are gross, but I'll play along.
Ween - Voodoo Lady.
Weezer - Only In Dreams.
Nine Inch Nails - Ring Finger.
2. Which evil villain would make the best President? Krang from the TMNT. I think he's the perfect representation of how much of a puppet presidents are now. Plus his speeches would be the best.
3. What was your favorite cartoon as a child? I've always watched cartoons so I think my favorites have always changed. He-man and the Thundercats were the first ones I remember getting into. I've tried watching them since and it's not the same, obviously. I think my favorite cartoon that DOES hold up throughout the years is Ren & Stimpy. It's a brilliantly absurd show and the art is amazing.
4. What superpower do you wish you had? Flying for sure. I know it's a lame answer but here's the catch - my penis is the propeller and I can only fly two feet off the ground.
5. What would the title of your autobiography be? Cool! I wrote a book about myself!
I'm a huge music nerd and I have only heard of about 2% of these bands so I'm excited to see so many groups but here are three -
The Bots: They are playing my show at the Imaginary Radio Program and I couldn't be more excited. They are two dudes who just got out of high school who play great punk rock. They're killing it.
Chromeo: These guys have been two favorites of mine for a while now and I've never seen them live. Just great songwriters influenced by an era of 80's dance/pop music that I really love.
ZEDD: I just really like his Zelda remix, it pumps me up. Though, I'm not too into seeing DJs live, I'm really curious to see a huge crowd process that song.
Man, can Drennon Davis get any dreamier? No. The answer is no.