The SXSW Housing Department has been getting loads of questions from people excited about getting an early start on making their plans for SXSW 2014 next March -- especially our upcoming launch of the online registration & housing processes. If you have also been wondering what to do about your hotel room we have some tips right here!
* When we launch on August 1st you can check the SXSW availability page (availability & rates will be updated on the 1st) to see your options of available Austin hotels, room types & rates. Options on the site will be updated as hotels sell out, but hotels sell out quickly and we cannot guarantee those exact hotels will be available when you make your request.
* You must register for SXSW (2014 rates will be posted on August 1st) before making a hotel request in order to give everyone a fair shot at SXSW’s room blocks & group rate. Housing will not hold or book rooms for anyone until they have registered.
* After you complete the registration info and purchase the items in your shopping cart, a “Request Hotel” button will appear next to each registrant’s name in the “Hotels” section of your cart. Selecting that button will take you to a Hotel Requester form with that registrant’s info pre-populated. Enter the desired check-in & out dates and choose from the list of available hotel options shown. To book multiple registrants you must return to your shopping cart and submit a hotel request for each person.
* If we do not have a room showing available for the dates you are requesting, it will be because that hotel has sold out for one or more of the requested dates.
* All hotel requests are requests and not a confirmed reservation until you receive an emailed confirmation from SXSW Housing.
* SXSW has blocked thousands of rooms at over 70 properties, but the city’s hotel inventory does not historically satisfy initial demand. This hotel shortage has led to higher rates from year to year but we hope the addition of downtown hotels currently under construction will improve the situation in the future.
* The SXSW group hotel rates can only be booked through SXSW Housing. SXSW does not control 100% of these hotels’ inventory and some may offer rooms at a much higher rate at a later date.
Still have questions? Housing@sxsw.com or 512-467-7979.