I think Angel Haze is one of my new heroes. She's a raw, unbridled, furious, ferocious, truth teller whose music is f'ing catchy as hell.
Raised in Detroit in a Pentecostal family, she's a rape and sexual abuse survivor and feminist who could probably kick your ass. It's like every ten years or so I get introduced to these female vocalists who make me wish they'd been around when I was coming of age musically (Otep was the last).
Angel Haze, born Raykeea Wilson, is performing four times at the festival: Wednesday at Cedar Street Courtyard at 1am, Thursday, March 14 at Easy Tiger at 1.15 am, Friday, March 15 at The Pandora Porch at 10pm, and Saturday, March 16 at Austin Music Hall at 6.30pm. Plenty of opportunities to hear the stories behind the scars.
For now, you can check her rather sweet...
The LP Questionnaire
Do you have any nicknames? Raee, Young Gypsy, Alaska Young
1. Pretend you’re 15. Name three songs you'd put on a mix tape for your girlfriend/boyfriend.
The year is 2009.
Like A Star - Corinne Bailey Rae
Until The End Of Time - Justin Timberlake
How Deep Is Your Love - The Bee Gees
2. Which evil villain would make the best President? Bane from The Dark Knight Rises because he's intelligent and VERY well organized....and hot.
3. What was your favorite cartoon as a child? My favorite cartoon was Shin-chan because he's ignorant like me.
4. What superpower do you wish you had? The power to inflict pain on anyone I look at. Like Dakota Fanning's character in the Twilight movies.
5. What would the title of your autobiography be? Unwritten.....because I would never write one.
Ab-Soul: Because he seems entertaining.
Action Bronson: Because he's so adorable.
Sky Ferreira: "Lost In My Bedroom" is one of my favorite songs.
Thanks for stopping by. More LPQ/P3s are gathered into one repository for your enjoyment here.
I thought you'd do it easily, lp