Thank you for your interest in covering SXSW 2016!
To apply for credentials, the assigning Editor/Producer must fill out the following online application form. If you are a freelance journalist, you must be on assignment from a media outlet. Photographers must also be on assignment. Spec photography, portfolio photography, and personal website photography are not valid assignments. If you are not the assigning Editor/Producer or are a freelance journalist or photographer, please forward this form to the appropriate person to be completed.
We take your coverage plans into consideration when reviewing your application to cover SXSW and expect coverage to be thoughtful, insightful, informative and consistent with your stated coverage plan. We do not consider social media or a compilation of photos, videos or articles unrelated to SXSW official events as press coverage.
Please note the following:
- ONE designated point person in your media outlet should complete this application, on behalf of your organization, for ALL personnel wishing to cover the event on behalf of the outlet. Individual attendees should be listed within that single application. The system is self explanatory and you will be able to submit additional attendees over time if you do not yet have all your assignment plans set.
- Requests for accreditation will only be considered if submitted via this official online process with the online application form completed accordingly. Application requests sent by email will not be accepted.
- As part of this online credential application, the assigning Editor/Producer MUST provide a letter of assignment on behalf of each individual attendee on company letterhead, stating a description of your outlet, the name of the journalist(s) assigned to attend and the scope of the coverage. If you are submitting multiple attendees, you only need to write one letter of assignment, that lists coverage details for each individual on one overarching document. Just be sure to re-attach it directly to each individual application. If you are a freelance journalist or photographer, you must be on assignment from a publication and provide an official letter of assignment.
- Only actively covering, legitimate media will be considered for credentials. Analysts, Market Researchers, Marketing / Advertising firms, Brand Content Producers, Consultants, Media Coaches, Educators, Filmmakers, etc. are not included in the SXSW definition of legitimate media. If you fall into this category, but are a contributor to an outlet that meets our qualifications, you must be on assignment, and provide a Letter of Assignment from your Editor.
- Press Credential Applications should be filled out as soon as possible, and no later than Wednesday, February 10, 2016. No Applications will be considered after this date, and walk-up requests will not be granted.
- Your application is not considered complete until receipt of your letter of assignment. Please upload your letter of assignment within 5 business days of filling out this application.
- Once your application is complete, please allow SXSW 15 complete business days to consider your request.
- If you are approved for credentials, you will receive access to the limited block of hotel rooms held for Press at the discounted conference rates. Rooms are sold on a ‘first come, first served basis’. The earlier you apply, the better your selection of hotel rooms. While you are not guaranteed a hotel room with your approval, the SXSW Housing Department will work with you to secure hotel accommodations. For questions regarding housing, visit SXSW.com/hotels or email email@example.com.
- SXSW reserves the right to approve or deny accreditation. The decision is final and cannot be appealed.
Note: if you attended SXSW 2015 as an accredited journalist, you must have submitted your coverage by June 1, 2015 to be in good standing. Please note that it is your responsibility to confirm with SXSW that your coverage was received. If you have covered SXSW in the past but recently changed media affiliation, accreditation is subject to SXSW approval of the applicant's affiliation. Your past work as an accredited journalist will be taken into account upon assessment of your application.