Thank you for your interest in covering SXSW 2014!
The event will take place Friday, March 7 to Sunday, March 16, 2014, broken down by individual event as follows:
- Film // Friday, March 7 - Saturday, March 15
- Interactive // Friday, March 7 - Tuesday, March 11
- Music // Tuesday, March 11 - Sunday, March 16
To apply for credentials, the assigning Editor/Producer must fill out the following online application form. If you are a freelance journalist, you must be on assignment from a media outlet. Photographers must also be on assignment. Spec photography, portfolio photography, and personal website photography are not valid assignments. If you are not the assigning Editor/Producer or are a freelance journalist or photographer, please forward this form to the appropriate person to be completed.
Please note the following:
1. ONE designated point person in your media outlet should complete this application, on behalf of your organization, for ALL personnel wishing to cover the event on behalf of the outlet. Individual attendees should be listed within that single application. The system is self explanatory and you will be able to submit additional attendees over time if you do not yet have all your assignment plans set.
2. Requests for accreditation will only be considered if submitted via this official online process with the online application form completed accordingly. Application requests sent by email will not be accepted.
3. As part of this online credential application, the assigning Editor/Producer MUST provide a letter of assignment on behalf of each individual attendee on company letterhead, stating a description of your outlet, the name of the journalist(s) assigned to attend and the scope of the coverage. If you are submitting multiple attendees, you only need to write one letter of assignment, that lists coverage details for each individual on one overarching document. Just be sure to re-attach it directly to each individual application. If you are a freelance journalist or photographer, you must be on assignment from a publication and provide an official letter of assignment.
4. Only actively covering, legitimate media will be considered for credentials. Analysts, Market Researchers, Marketing / Advertising firms, etc. are not included in the SXSW definition of legitimate media. If you fall into this category, but are a contributor to an outlet that meets our qualifications, you must be on assignment, and provide a Letter of Assignment from your Editor.
5. GOLD (Film + Interactive) and PLATINUM (Music + Film + Interactive) Credentials will be allotted on a case-by-case basis and are never guaranteed just because you requested them. Your listed coverage plan MUST include items on all events you ask to be credentialed for, i.e. if you are hoping for a Gold credential, your coverage plan must include specific details for both Film and Interactive topics. If your coverage plan does not actually encompass all of the events, you will not be considered for anything beyond the scope of your described coverage.
6. Press Credential Applications should be filled out as soon as possible, and no later than Wednesday, February 5, 2014. No Applications will be considered after this date, and walk-up requests will not be granted.
7. Your application is not considered complete until receipt of your letter of assignment. Please upload your letter of assignment within 5 business days of filling out this application to be processed in a timely fashion.
8. Once your application is complete, please allow SXSW 15 complete business days to consider your request.
9 If you are approved for credentials, you will receive access to the Press block of hotel rooms. These rooms are on a first come, first served basis and are LIMITED. You are not guaranteed a hotel room with your approval, though the SXSW housing office will do their best to work with you to help secure lodging when possible.
10. SXSW reserves the right to approve or deny accreditation. The decision is final and cannot be appealed.
If you have read all the guidelines CAREFULLY,
If you attended SXSW 2013 as an accredited journalist, you must have submitted your coverage by July 1, 2013 to be in good standing. Note also if you were awarded Gold or Platinum credentials for 2013, and your submitted coverage didn't actually include all of the events you had access to, this will affect your ability to receive Gold or Platinum credentials going forward. It is your responsibility to confirm with SXSW that your coverage was received. If you have covered SXSW in the past but recently changed media affiliation, accreditation is subject to SXSW approval of the applicant's affiliation. Your past work as an accredited journalist will be taken into account upon assessment of your application.