Calling all creatives – premiere your buzz-worthy film, perform on stage in front of a global audience, or pitch your game-changing tech startup at SXSW. Whatever your creative goal may be, take the opportunity to be a part of the inventive SXSW community from March 13-22, 2020.
Applications are open for SXSW 2020 participation opportunities but a majority of final deadlines are fast approaching. Learn how to participate in one of the many prestigious SXSW categories below and take note of important deadlines (11:59pm Pacific Time). Applications for SXSW Release It opened November 15 while SXSW Hackathon is set to open later in the season.
The PanelPicker®, Music Festival, Art Program, Innovation Awards, SXSW Pitch, and Community Service Awards applications are now closed but stay tuned for programming announcements and Awards finalists.
2020 Open Applications
Place by Design is SXSW’s public space design competition, celebrating transformative work at the intersection of art, technology, and design that rethinks how we use and interact with the places around us. Learn More »
- Deadline: November 22, 2019
David Carr was a journalist, author, and longtime speaker at SXSW before his passing in 2015. All high school, undergraduate, and graduate students (PhD & Masters included) are invited to honor David Carr’s interest in the convergence of new media, technology, and culture by entering an essay or short story following a prompt. Learn More »
- Final Deadline: December 6, 2019
SXSW Songs is a unique songwriting camp experience for established pop producers and writers from around the world. Co-writing at SXSW connects you with the energy and inspiration of a global creative community. Learn More »
- Early Deadline: October 25, 2019
- Final Deadline: December 20, 2019
SXSW Release It is a special pitch competition featuring ten cutting-edge companies selected to pitch their product or service live at SXSW for a panel of judges comprised of technology industry experts, venture capitalists and high profile media who will select the product or service most likely to succeed in the marketplace. Learn More »
- Final Deadline: January 17, 2020
The SXSW Film Festival celebrates raw innovation and emerging talent from both behind and in front of the camera. Premiere your feature film, short, episodic, or VR/AR/MR project in front of press, film industry leaders, and film lovers as well as tech and music professionals at the 2020 SXSW Film Festival. Submission categories include Feature Film, Short Film, Episodic, Music Video, Virtual Cinema, Texas High School Short, and Title Sequence. Learn More »
- Early Deadline: August 22, 2019 | Features, Shorts, Episodics, Music Videos, VR/AR/MR projects, Texas High School Shorts, and Title Sequences
- Official Deadline: September 19, 2019 | Features, Shorts, Episodics, Music Videos, VR/AR/MR projects, Texas High School Shorts, and Title Sequences
- Late Deadline: October 17, 2019 | Features, Shorts, Episodics, Music Videos, VR/AR/MR projects, Texas High School Shorts, and Title Sequences
- Final Deadline: December 12, 2019 | Texas High School Shorts and Title Sequences
Note: Even though the Late Deadline has passed, it is still possible to submit your project for consideration. Read our guide on How to Request an Extension for the 2020 SXSW Film Festival.
Photo by Tico Mendoza