Started in 2014, the SXSW Gaming Awards is our way of showing that we admire and respect all the hard work it takes to create the art we call gaming. On this note, we’re set on keeping the SXSW Gaming Awards focused on the craft of gaming and not the product that’s trying to be sold. Every project should be celebrated and respected for what they’re designed to be, and we intend to share these wonderful projects with the world.
Entering your product for consideration to be part of the 2016 SXSW Gaming Awards is free. We will be accepting entries through November 9, 2015. If your title is released after the November 9 deadline, but before the end of the calendar year, you may still enter. Please contact email@example.com for the entry form in this case.
Judging begins in a two-step process once all entries have been received. First, there is a private judging process by the SXSW Gaming Advisory Board to select the top five choices in each awards category. The advisory board is comprised of over 40 industry experts who are well-versed in everything gaming and geek culture and evaluate every title that is submitted. Once the final nominees have been chosen, we invite the general public, along with the advisory board, to cast their final votes to help determine the winner of each category.
If you’d like to enter your title for the SXSW Gaming Awards please follow this link.
Gamer's Voice shares the same entry and selection periods as all the other categories, but it is unique in that it is purely focused on indie developers and teams.
In addition to this, the nominees are selected exclusively by the SXSW Gaming Staff. We play every game and pick the top 30 to come join us at SXSW with an exclusive space on the SXSW Gaming Expo floor. From there, attendees will have the chance to play each nominee title and vote to determine the winner of the award, which will be announced during the SXSW Gaming Awards ceremony, Saturday, March 19, 2016 in Austin, TX.
If you’d like to enter your title for the Gamer’s Voice award please follow this link.
Official 2016 SXSW Gaming Awards Categories
- Game of the Year: Awarded to the game that best exemplifies overall excellence.
- Tabletop Game of the Year: Awarded to the best tabletop game that exemplifies overall excellence.
- Mobile Game of the Year: Awarded to the best game of any handheld device that exemplifies overall excellence.
- Excellence in Gameplay: Awarded to the game with the best gameplay mechanics.
- Excellence in Art: Awarded to the game with the most outstanding artistic style.
- Excellence in Animation: Awarded to the game with the most outstanding animation.
- Excellence in Technical Achievement: Awarded to the game that best uses technology to enhance the gaming experience.
- Excellence in Visual Achievement: Awarded to the game with most stunning visuals.
- Excellence in Narrative: Awarded to the game with the best storyline and dialogue.
- Excellence in Design: Awarded to the game with the best overall design concept and best execution.
- Excellence in SFX: Awarded to the game with the most outstanding sound effects.
- Excellence in Musical Score: Awarded to the game that best exemplifies artistic excellence in musical score and how it progresses the narrative of the game.
- Excellence in Multiplayer: Awarded to the game with the best player to player interaction experience.
- Excellence in Convergence: Awarded to the game that excels in crossover to other entertainment mediums such as film, music, toys, animation, sports and more.
- Most Enduring Character: Awarded to the best game character that left an overwhelming impression.
- Most Valuable Esports Team: Awarded to the professional team that excels in performance and provides the most valuable impact in its competitive scene.
- Most Entertaining Online Personality: Awarded to the online gaming-related personality that consistently entertains and keeps us watching with its humor, stories, special effects, and more.
- Most Fulfilling Crowdfunded Game: Awarded to the game that was primarily produced via platforms such as Kickstarter and Indiegogo, or playable through Early Access, that excelled beyond the expectations set before it.
- Most Promising New Intellectual Property: Awarded to a new property that risked creating something fresh and that excelled within its genre or category for the year.
- Matthew Crump Cultural Innovation Award: Awarded to the game that best challenges the “norm” of everyday gaming and offers a culturally innovative view of a game world, character, or gameplay.
- Gamer’s Voice Award: Awarded to the best game created by indie developers, selected by SXSW Gaming Expo attendees.
SXSW Gaming Highlights
Check out the full list of winners from previous years here.
For more information on our SXSW Gaming Awards, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all press requests, please contact email@example.com.
For all general SXSW Gaming inquiries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo by Lisa Hause