SXSW presented 15 different awards — check them all out below:
- Excellence in Gameplay: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons: Developed by Starbreeze Studios, Brothers is about a pair of brothers who go on a fairytale-style epic adventure to save their dying father.
- Excellence in Art: Bioshock Infinite: Published by 2K Games and developed by Irrational Games, BioShock Infinite is a first-person shooter and the third installment in the BioShock series.
- Excellence in Animation: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch: Developed by Studio Ghibli and Level 5, Wrath of the White Witch is a role-playing video game starring a boy on a journey to become a wizard and bring back his mother from the dead.
- Excellence in Technical Achievement: Grand Theft Auto V: Developed by Rockstar North, this is the latest and 15th installment in the Grand Theft Auto series. The open world, action-adventure gameplay is addicting as it was when the franchise first launched.
- Excellence in Narrative: The Last of Us: Developed by Naughty Dog, The Last of Us takes place in a post-apocalyptic United States in 2033.
- Excellence in Design and Direction: Tearaway: Developed by Media Molecule, Tearaway features a world made of paper in which a player has to navigate through in order to deliver a message.
- Best Multiplayer: Super Mario 3D World: Developed by Nintendo and 1-Up Studio, Super Mario 3D World is one of the most recent releases in one of the gaming industry’s most popular franchise. In this game, you can play as Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, and Toad.
- Excellence in Gaming Marketing: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag: Developed by Ubisoft Montreal, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag is the newest game in the popular Assassin’s Creed series.
- Convergence Award: Injustice: Gods Among Us: What happens with DC’s biggest heroes square off in one-to-one fights? Gods Among Us, developed by NetherRealm Studios, High Voltage Software and Armature Studio explores these battles with intense one-on-one fights.
- Excellence in SFX: The Last of Us
- Excellence in Musical Score: The Last of Us
- Texas Arts Achievement Award Presented by Austin Chronicle: Galactic Café: Earlier this year, Galactic Café released The Stanley Parable, a first-person interactive fiction game that has won several awards and high praise.
- Gamer’s Voice Award: Nidhogg: Developed by Messof, Niddhogg features pixilated characters fighting with pixilated swords in a side-scrolling world.
- Matthew Crump Cultural Innovation: Papers, Please: Developed by Lucas Pope, this puzzle video-game features an immigration worker trying to figure out who to and who to not let in the fictional fictional dystopian country of Arstotzka.
- Game of the Year: The Last of Us
Cirque du Soleil at the SXSW Gaming Awards. Photo by Hutton Supancic / Getty Images