I've spent a bit of time on tour with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and what a lovely bunch of men they are. Multi-instrumentalist Ben Jaffe comes to SXSW this year not to perform (although he told me he's bringing his tuba so you never know!) but to speak on the New Orleans Music Today panel tomorrow at the ACC at 5pm in Room 15.
New Orleans has such a rich and interesting music history, please join us for this look at where things are headed in The Big Easy.
And for now, Ben sent us this very fine LPQ for you to enjoy!
The LP Questionnaire
Name: Ben Jaffe
Do you have any nicknames? Everyone calls me Benjy. The guys in the band call me Fuzzy.
1. Pretend you’re 15. Name three songs you'd put on a mix tape for your girlfriend/boyfriend.The year is 1986: "How Will I Know" Whitney Houston, "Higher Love" Steve Winwood and "West End Girls" Pet Shop Boys. My back up would be "What Have You Done for Me Lately".
2. Which evil villain would make the best President? Hands down Darth Vader
3. What was your favorite cartoon as a child? Fat Albert
4. What superpower do you wish you had? I'd like it to be something like cure the world of illness. But since this is all hypothetical, I'd really like to fly.
5. What would the title of your autobiography be? My Father's Son
I'm ashamed to say I haven't looked at the performer listings yet!!! I've got a couple of close friends who are much more up on the scene than me who I rely on. What I love about SXSW is not having a plan of attack because you never know what could happen where. Two years ago I was walking down the street and wandered into Gary Clark's set. I've been a fan ever since. I've learned not to make plans!!!
Why, I do thank ya for stopping by. You can read more fine LPQ/P3's here if you're so inclined.
My, my how can I resist you, lp