Spirit Family Reunion evoke memories of slower days, rocking chairs on porches, lemonade, the smell of grass, and the feel of the sun. As we ramp up to SXSW it feels so great to have been able to take a break and listen to their sweet sounds while I write this post.
Bassist/Vocalist Ken Woodward is a terrible juggler and organizer, but a terrific eater and sleeper. He's slept in streets in the middle of the day stone cold sober. Why, just two days ago he took an hour nap on a concrete floor with no pillow.
He told us that many years ago in another life he made money by being an organ grinder and that he's lived in a cathedral, but as beautiful as it was it was mighty cold in the winter.
Have a l'il gander at his LPQ and P3, why don'tcha.
The LP Questionnaire
Name: Ken Woodward
Do you have any nicknames? Yes-actually I was given a nickname today by a rap artist hawking his home burnt CD. He dubbed me K-boogie. I've had others in the past, but none of them stuck. Ken is old Chinese for the third mountain. In the indian language of the Chu people in the mountains of northern Guatemala it means rock. So friends in my inner circle would call me "Ken" but in the Chu accent which is impossible to write in English. It had a hard clicking sound on the letter "K". That's the best I can explain it.
1. Pretend you’re 15. Name three songs you'd put on a mix tape for your girlfriend/boyfriend. The year was '98 and I didn't have any girlfriends back then, I was a late bloomer. I did love Hendrix and Zeppelin and Django back then, I still do.
2. Which evil villain would make the best President? That could go so many different ways...the cynic in me says Green Goblin, cause at least he'd be honest, uninhibited by appearances. Magneto would probably be quite a bit more competent though, apparently he's very smart and passionate about his agenda, he's just a bit hurt and bitter is all.
3. What was your favorite cartoon as a child? Without a doubt...Bugs Bunny!
4. What superpower do you wish you had? Without a doubt flight!
5. What would the title of your autobiography be? It's too early to say really...maybe Memoirs of a Mediocre Man.
Sam Doores and the Tumbleweeds: Cause they're awesome, and cause Sam is so dern cute.
Mostly though I'm looking forward to seeing friends I haven't seen in too long. SXSW is a lot of work for the bands working it (for instance we have a 6:00 AM load in for a live radio broadcast on Saturday). When I'm not playing I'll get some sun and some bar-b-q, probably put in some ear plugs and take a nap.
Thanks for joining this work in progress. That Mr. Woodward sure was a charmer, no? You can keep up with all the LPQ/P3 fun-times here. More coming soon-like from Angel Haze, Camera Obscura and Sara Quin from Tegan and Sara.
There's a million hearts, lp