We are excited for you to share your SXSW, SXSW Online, SXSW EDU, and/or SXSW EDU Online (the “Event(s)”) experiences in your news coverage, but it’s imperative that all accredited media also respect the rights of the creators that participate in SXSW and SXSW EDU. This Accredited Press Photo & Video Policy covers what type of photo and video capturing is and isn’t allowed during the Event. When we refer to “content” that includes, without limitation, videos, clips, photographs, audio recordings, text, graphics, logos, icons, images and software made available to the attendee during the Events.
Professional Photography and Videography is permitted at SXSW Events only with press credentials and a camera tag provided by the SXSW and SXSW EDU Press Departments. By accepting press credentials and a camera tag, you agree to the terms detailed in this Photo and Video Policy.
REGISTERED PRESS AND CAMERA TAGS
- Only SXSW and SXSW EDU accredited press are eligible to receive a camera tag
- To obtain camera tags, bring your camera to the Press table in the Registration area of the Austin Convention Center
- The camera tag must be affixed to your camera AT ALL TIMES.
- Under no circumstances are tripods, lights and elaborate set ups permitted in any SXSW venue hallways
- Media attendees are not permitted to take photos or shoot video where it is unsafe or disruptive such as in doorways, fire exits, expo floor aisles, hallways, sidewalks, etc. Not complying with a request to move or stop capturing content could result in your removal.
Press credentials and photographer/videographer camera tags are issued at the discretion of SXSW and can be revoked at any time if SXSW determines they are misused.
You must have a SXSW camera tag affixed to your camera to take professional photos at Conference and Festival Events.
Additionally, flash photography is only allowed as follows:
- During the first five (5) minutes of any session from the front of the room
- After five (5) minutes, no flash photography will be allowed and cameras will need to be removed from the front of the room
- If you are staying after the first five (5) minutes, you must have a seat in the audience
SXSW Music Festival
- During the first three (3) songs of an artist’s set
- After three (3) songs no flash photography is allowed
- Specific artists may have different rules regarding shooting showcases
SXSW Film Festival
- On a case by case basis, which must be approved by the SXSW Press Department in advance. Otherwise, flash photography is prohibited inside venues.
In order to protect SXSW and the rights of artists and speakers, including, without limitation, copyrights and rights of publicity, videography for news coverage, reviews and interviews are permitted and restricted as follows:
SXSW and SXSW EDU Conferences:
- During first five (5) minutes of any session
- Tripod video recording from the back or sides of rooms for first five (5) minutes of any session
- No filming or photography may impede the ingress or egress of a room
SXSW Music Festival:
- During three (3) songs of any one artist’s set, only with prior approval from SXSW
- Upon request by SXSW, it will be your sole responsibility to obtain and supply to SXSW written permission from artist management.
SXSW Film Festival Q&As and Introductions:
- Filming from your seat at Film Festival venues is allowed except at the Paramount and Stateside Theatres.
- Your SXSW and SXSW EDU press credentials and camera tag will NOT allow you to audio or video stream, broadcast or otherwise transmit, retransmit or copy in any form any SXSW artist performance, conference programming, or Film Q&A longer than :45 continuous seconds. To request additional content capture rights, fill out this form.
- No board feeds will be allowed during the SXSW Conference, and will not be allowed without prior consent from SXSW during the Music Festival
- Video recording of any kind is not allowed at the Paramount or Stateside Theatres without prior approval from the SXSW Film Publicity Department
- In order to protect SXSW, SXSW EDU and the rights of artists and speakers, including, without limitation, copyrights and rights of publicity, screenshots, excluding film screenings, are permissible for news coverage, reviews and interviews
- Videography: Clips from selected Keynotes, Featured Speakers Music Festival performances, and Film Festival Q&As will be available via a press room
- Video and/or audio recording any online event content is prohibited.
- Live-streaming online event content is prohibited.
- Displaying Online Event content in group settings (i.e., with multiple viewers of the public who are not also passholders) is prohibited without SXSW’s advanced approval, which may require an additional license.
- Copying, republishing, downloading, transmitting, modifying, renting, leasing, loaning, selling, assigning, distributing, recording, licensing, sublicensing, reverse engineering, or creating any derivative works based on any Online Event content is prohibited.
For any questions about this policy, please contact email@example.com.