Professional photography and videography is permitted at SXSW events only with press credentials and a camera tag provided by the SXSW Press Department. By accepting press credentials and a camera tag, you agree to the terms detailed in this Photo and Video Policy.
For any questions about this policy, please contact email@example.com.
For information about personal digital cameras or phones, please see the Attendee Photo & Video Policy page.
For commercial content capture requests, please fill out this form.
REGISTERED PRESS AND CAMERA TAGS
- Only SXSW accredited press are eligible to receive a camera tag.
- To obtain camera tags, bring your camera to the Press table in the Registration area of the Austin Convention Center.
- The camera tag must be affixed to your camera AT ALL TIMES.
- Under no circumstances are tripods, lights and elaborate set ups permitted in any SXSW venue hallways.
Press credentials and photographer/videographer camera tags are issued at the discretion of SXSW and can be revoked at any time if SXSW determines they are misused.
You must have a SXSW camera tag affixed to your camera to take photos at Conference and Festival events.
Additionally, flash photography is only allowed as follows:
- During the first five (5) minutes of any session from the front of the room.
- After five (5) minutes, no flash photography will be allowed and cameras will need to be removed from the front of the room.
- If you are staying after the first five (5) minutes, you must have a seat in the audience.
SXSW Music Festival:
- During the first three (3) songs of an artist’s set.
- After three (3) songs no flash photography is allowed.
- Specific artists may have different rules regarding shooting showcases.
SXSW Film Festival
- On a case by case basis, which must be approved by the SXSW Press Department in advance. Otherwise, flash photography is prohibited inside venues.
You must have a SXSW camera tag affixed to your camera to film at Conference and Festival events.
In order to protect SXSW and the rights of artists and speakers, including but not limited to copyrights and rights of publicity, videography for news coverage, reviews and interviews is permitted and restricted as follows:
- During first five (5) minutes of any session.
- Tripod video recording from the back or sides of rooms for first five (5) minutes of any session.
- No filming or photography may impede the ingress or egress of a room.
SXSW Music Festival:
- During three (3) songs of any one artist’s set, only with prior approval from SXSW.
- Upon request by SXSW, it will be your sole responsibility to obtain and supply to SXSW written permission from artist management.
SXSW Film Festival Q&As and Introductions:
- Filming from your seat at Film Festival venues is allowed except at the Paramount and Stateside Theatres.
- Your SXSW press credentials and camera tag will NOT allow you to audio or video stream, broadcast or otherwise transmit, retransmit or copy in any form any SXSW artist performance, conference programming, or Film Q&A longer than :45 continuous seconds. To request additional content capture rights, fill out this form.
- No board feeds will be allowed during the SXSW Conference, and will not be allowed without prior consent from SXSW during the Music Festival.
- Video recording of any kind is not allowed at the Paramount or Stateside Theatres without prior approval from the SXSW Film Publicity Department.