All visual artists are eligible to enter their project to SXSW. This is open to studios, designers, and collectives in addition to individual artists. All proposals are confidential and will not be shared outside of the SXSW review process. All proposals must be in to SXSW via the below form by 11:59pm CT on Friday, December 16, 2016.
For installations selected for SXSW 2017, SXSW will provide:
- Funds for installation expenses not to exceed $10,000 each for the completion of installation
- Dedicated SXSW staff liaison to assist with on-site production needs
- High visibility space in Austin, TX to display installation
- Platinum credential(s) to attend SXSW
- Consultation on media outreach
The selected installations will be listed in the SXSW schedule of events, which is read by some of the most innovative thinkers from across the US and around the world. SXSW reserves the right to use photographs or digital images of any accepted work for the purpose of publicity. If your project is selected for SXSW, these and many other specifics will be explain in more detail.
Please select the SXSW designated location that is most appropriate for this artwork. If your artwork doesn’t fit into one of these locations, please select “other” and describe the ideal location. SXSW will have final curatorial placement of installation(s) inside the dedicated space for art.
- 20 x 20 x 8 – empty conference style room
- No drilling, tacking or taping into the walls
- Limited shore power
- 20 x 30 – empty street space
- No onsite power
- 20 x 20 – park space
- No damage to park land
- No vehicles in wheels in the park
- No staking into the ground
- No tethering things to trees or fence
Consideration for Proposals
- Must provide visual representation of your installation
- All basic safety considerations must be taken into account – no flames or flammable materials/gases, dangerous materials
- All designs will be subject to final approval by the fire marshall
- Assembly onsite only. All fabrication/hard construction will need to be finished pre-load in.
- All installations must have general liability insurance
- Extra points for interactivity
SXSW will select up to 5 installations. The selection decisions will be made by the SXSW Art Team and our advisory board members. Advisory Board members will provide feedback on proposals, but SXSW Art Team will make all final selections. All participants will be notified of their status by the end of January.
Please complete the proposal form below. Leaving information blank may result in your entry not being processed.
We understand that some proposals will need a longer lead time than March 2017. If you have a great proposal for 2018, please send us an email at email@example.com.