How Access Works
There are four SXSW Badge types: Platinum, Interactive, Film & TV, and Music.
Badges are tied to three access types:
- Primary: admitted first
- Secondary: admitted second, after primary line
- Convergence: one line where all badges have equal access
The Platinum Badge is your key to everything SXSW has to offer with primary access to all events. Experience groundbreaking conference sessions, iconic festivals, unparalleled networking opportunities, access to SXSW’s online programming, and more.
If you have an Interactive, Film & TV or Music Badge, you have primary entry to the respective Conference tracks and events of your badge type as well as Convergence Tracks, Exhibitions and Comedy Festival showcases. Plus, enjoy secondary access to a majority of festival programming. All registrants receive access to SXSW 2023's online programming.
At the event, icons on signage that match your badge type indicate which access line you join: primary or secondary.
Plan ahead with the Event Status feature which allows our registrants to check the current status of a room or a venue’s remaining capacity. A Green-Yellow-Red system appears on the SXSW GO app, the online SXSW Schedule, and on the digital Event Status Boards located around the Austin Convention Center and other venues.
SXSW events take place at various Official Venues across Austin. Review each venue's specific bag policy, mask requirements, and other protocols before you go! On each Venue's event page in the SXSW Schedule, access their company website to learn more. Explore the Film & TV Festival Access section for Paramount and Stateside Theatre requirements for Film screenings.
Both the SXSW GO app and the SXSW Schedule will show room size information as small, medium, or large for any venue to help you plan your schedule.
- Small = 0-249
- Medium = 250-599
- Large = 600+
SXXpress (South by Express) Passes allow registrants to request priority access to individual Conference Sessions, Music Festival Showcases, Film & TV Festival Screenings, Comedy Festival Showcases, and select parties.
You can request a SXXpress Pass for events that you have primary access to through the SXSW Schedule or SXSW GO app starting at 9am the day before your desired event.
Passes are distributed via email, Apple Wallet, and Google Pay. Registrants can request passes prior to picking up their badge as long as they have linked their badge.
SXXpress Pass allotment and event eligibility varies by badge type:
- Platinum registrants may request up to three passes per day, for access to Conference Sessions, Film & TV Festival Screenings, Music Festival Showcases, Comedy Festival Showcases, and Parties.
- Interactive registrants may request up to three passes per day, for access to Interactive and Convergence Sessions, Comedy Festival Showcases and Interactive Opening Party.
- Film & TV registrants may request up to two passes per day, for access to Screenings, Film and Convergence Sessions, Comedy Festival Showcases and the Film & TV Opening Party and Intermission Party.
- Music registrants may request up to two passes per day, for access to Music Showcases, Music and Convergence Sessions, Comedy Festival Showcases and the Music Opening Party.
Learn more about SXXpress Pass access, request periods, event lines, and more on the SXXpress Pass page.