No matter what badge type you have, you’ll have access to experience sessions from all 20 Tracks at the SXSW Conference, as well as film screenings, music showcases, and special industry parties and events.
All SXSW registrants also receive complimentary access to SXSW Gaming as well as the Registrants Lounge, Flatstock Poster Show, SXSW Marketplace, Startup Spotlight, SXSW Wellness Expo, SXSW Community Service Awards, and SXSW Outdoor Stage at Lady Bird Lake concerts.
Other available networking events including BBQ Crash Course and Taco Meet Ups are sold* separately at the SXSW Cart checkout (*Subject to availability).
How Access Works
There are four SXSW Badge types: Platinum, Interactive, Film, and Music.
Badges are tied to three access types:
- Primary: admitted first
- Secondary: admitted second, after primary line
- Convergence: one line where all badges have equal access
If you have a Platinum Badge, you always have primary access to all events.
If you have an Interactive, Film, or Music Badge, you have primary access to the respective Conference tracks and events of your badge type, plus secondary access to other tracks and events outside your badge type, giving you the chance to experience more of what SXSW has to offer.
A select number of events remain primary access only.
How To Find Access
The icons on signage that match your badge type indicate which access line you join: primary or secondary.
Icons for Platinum, Interactive, Film, and Music can be seen below listed in order, left to right.
Access is also listed on the SXSW GO app and the SXSW Schedule. SXSW representatives are on hand throughout the event to assist with lines and to answer your access questions.
See Event Status for more information on digital Event Status Boards and Green-Yellow-Red system color-coded system.
Film Festival Access
Film Queue Cards
If you have a Film or Platinum Badge, and want to ensure you get a seat show up early to get a numbered Queue Card.
- Queue Cards will be distributed starting one hour before screening time, and will be handed out until capacity has been met.
- Queue Cards guarantee you a seat as long as you stay in line at the venue.
Film Buffer Cards
After all available Queue Cards are distributed, Buffer Cards will be handed out.
While these cards do not guarantee entry to the theater, they will help badgeholders secure a seat if any Filmmaker Guest Tickets or SXXpress passes go unused at the screening.
Film Line Procedure
1) SXSW Platinum and Film Badgeholders with SXXpress passes enter first.
2) Primary Access: The remaining Film and Platinum badgeholders will enter the theater.
3) Secondary Access: If seats still remain, Film Wristbands, Music Badges, and Interactive Badges will enter the theater.
4) Single Admission Tickets: If seats still remain, single admission tickets will be sold for $15 starting 15 minutes before showtime. We sell tickets most often at our larger venues: Paramount Theatre, Atom Theater at the Austin Convention Center, and ZACH Theatre (check back later in the season for more Film venue information).
Plan ahead and check on the Event Status – find the current status of a room or a venue’s remaining capacity in the SXSW GO app and on digital Event Status Boards located around the ACC and other venues.
View the list of official Film Festival Venues for more venue specific information including addresses, seating capacity, and the best walking routes between theaters.
Bag Policy: The Paramount and Stateside Theatres have a new bag size limit – registrants attending any events or screenings in these venues should not bring bags over 14″ x 12″ x 6″ (35 x 30 x 15 cm). Any bag over this size will not be allowed into the venues with the exception of diaper bags (when a child is present) and medically necessary items (including breast pumps).
All bags under the size limit as well as jackets and coats are permitted and subject to inspection. SXSW Registrant bags – received at Registration badge pickup – will be allowed.
Back to Top