Have you been circling the 2024 SXSW Film & TV Festival Submissions page, but unable to commit? Does a SXSW Film & TV Festival premiere feel like a big step you're not sure if you're ready to take? We're here to support you before the Final Deadline on October 3 with all the essentials to apply!
Debut your Feature, Short, TV Series and other projects in front of press, industry, and enthusiastic audiences at SXSW 2024 from March 8-16 in Austin, TX.
SXSW Screening Categories and Sections are how the Film & TV Festival arranges its iconic program each season, from intake submissions to Film & TV Awards participants! Learn more about 2024 submission categories below as well as premiere status and eligibility.
Feature Competition (Narrative/Documentary)
World premieres with unique ways to celebrate the art of storytelling and/or real world stories that demonstrate innovation, energy and bold voices.
- Narrative Feature Competition: World premieres with unique ways to celebrate the art of storytelling.
- Documentary Feature Competition: World premieres with real world stories that demonstrate innovation, energy and bold voices.
- Headliner: Big names, big talent: Headliners bring star power to SXSW, featuring red carpet premieres and gala film events with major and rising names in cinema.
- Narrative Spotlight: High profile narrative features receiving their World, North American, or U.S. premieres at SXSW.
- Documentary Spotlight: Shining a light on new documentary features receiving their World, North American, or U.S. premieres at SXSW.
- Visions: These filmmakers are audacious, risk-taking artists in the new cinema landscape who demonstrate raw innovation and creativity in documentary and narrative filmmaking.
- Midnighter: Scary, funny, sexy, controversial – provocative after-dark features for night-owls and the terminally curious.
- 24 Beats Per Second: Showcasing the sounds, culture and influence of music and musicians, with an emphasis on documentary.
- Global: A diverse selection of International filmmaking talent, featuring innovative narratives, artful documentaries, premieres, festival favorites, and more.
- Festival Favorite: Acclaimed standouts and selected previous premieres from festivals around the world.
- Special Event: Live soundtracks, cult re-issues, and much more. Our Special Events section offers unusual, unexpected, and unique one-off film events.
Learn more about eligibility requirements for Features.
Shorts Competition (Narrative / Documentary / Animated)
A selection of original, well-crafted films that take advantage of the short form and exemplify distinctive and genuine storytelling. Featuring slices of life from across the documentary spectrum, fantastical fiction, traditional animation, stop-motion, and everything in-between.
- Narrative Short Competition: A selection of original, well-crafted films that take advantage of the short form and exemplify distinctive and genuine storytelling.
- Documentary Short Competition: Slices of life from across the documentary spectrum.
- Animated Short Competition: An assortment of stories told using traditional animation, computer-generated effects, stop-motion, and everything in-between.
- Midnight Short Competition: Bite-sized bits for all of your sex, gore, and hilarity cravings.
- Music Video Competition: A range of classic, innovative, and stylish work showcasing the scope of music video culture.
- Texas Short Competition: An offshoot of our regular narrative shorts program, composed of work shot in, about, or somehow relating to the Lone Star state.
Presenting world premieres of prestige serials slated for release and accompanied by show-runners, directors, and cast members introducing fresh work from bright new talent, many with an eye towards finding production, completion funds, or a release platform.
- TV Premiere: Presenting world premieres of prestige serials slated for release and accompanied by show-runners, directors, and cast members.
- Independent TV Pilot Competition: A pilot showcase introducing fresh work from bright new talent, many with an eye towards finding production, completion funds, or a release platform.
- TV Spotlight: Presenting world premieres of new seasons of prestige series or studio backed projects seeking distribution.
Learn more about eligibility requirements for TV projects.
The immersive arts are finding new ways to enhance our ability to perceive the world that surrounds us, and in many instances they are redefining how we experience the world. The projects presented in our XR Experience emphasize ingenuity, storytelling, and also showcase how other industries are embracing this new medium.
- XR Experience Competition: World Premieres of exciting, immersive, reality-bending work.
- XR Experience Spotlight: Shining a spotlight on acclaimed immersive projects from around the world.
- XR Experience Special Event: One-of–a-kind events not to be missed!
Learn more about eligibility requirements for XR projects.
Explore the Film & TV Submissions FAQ for specific questions about submitting your project, premiere status, eligibility, and more.