Announcing the Winners of the 2019 SXSW Interactive Innovation Awards
Tonight the 22nd annual SXSW Interactive Innovation Awards celebrated the 2019 Finalists and Winners.
Beginning in June of 2018, innovators and creators from around the world entered their new projects to vie for top honors and the opportunity to showcase their work in front of SXSW attendees and Innovation Awards judges.
Congratulations to all the 2019 winners!
2019 Interactive Innovation Awards Winners
AI & Machine Learning
Honoring digital systems which have the ability to adapt to changing data, stimuli, and circumstances; replicating learning, problem-solving, and cognition.
- iN: Cognitive Patient Care Assistant by Inspiren, New York, New York, USA
Health, Med, & BioTech
Honoring the best new technology to improve the quality, efficacy, and cost-effectiveness of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and care in health and medicine.
- Butterfly iQ by Butterfly Network, Guilford, Connecticut, USA
Innovation in Connecting People
Honoring the most forward-thinking ways to connect and communicate with others.
- Living First Languages Digital Platform by The Australian Literacy and Numeracy Foundation, Edgecliff, New South Wales, Australia
Music & Audio Innovation
Honoring the most innovative devices or services that change and improve the way we listen to, compose and enjoy music.
- nuraphone - A Self-Learning Headphone by nura, Melbourne, Australia
Honoring those redefining the exchange of goods and services, from the sharing economy, to virtual currency, to micro-finance, to mobile-device-payment systems, and beyond.
- Biometric Payments & Age Validation by CLEAR, New York, New York, USA
Robotics and Hardware
Honoring the hottest new advances in the field of robotics and hardware.
- My Special Aflac Duck™ by Aflac, Sproutel, Carol Cone On Purpose & The Nation of Artists, Los Angeles, California, USA
Smart Cities, Transportation & Delivery
Honoring innovations in eco-friendly or sustainable energy, transportation, delivery and IoT technology, making life in the connected world a smarter, cleaner, greener, and more efficient Internet of Everything.
- Dubai Paperless Strategy by Smart Dubai, Duabi, United Arab Emirates
Social & Culture Impact
Honoring the best new projects and technologies that focus on social and cultural impact and encourage communities and individuals to participate in and contribute to the betterment of society.
- Aira - Visual Interpreter for the Blind by Aira, San Diego, California, USA
Honoring the best new work that uses design to re-think products, systems and worlds and address the challenges, opportunities and possibilities of the future.
- Argus: A Water Monitoring Plant by Parsons School of Design, The New School, New York, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Honoring exceptional student projects and startups that focus on interactive technology for the future.
- Graphene Brain-Computer Interface by Brane Interface, Austin, Texas, USA
Style & Wearable Tech
Honoring the new hardware that revolutionizes the convenience, comfort, functionality, efficiency, and fashion of having a device literally “on you.”
- The Eargo Max Hearing Aid by Eargo, Mountain View, California, USA
Visual Media Experience
Honoring content creation and delivery that moves beyond passive viewership by providing a more immersive and engaging entertainment experience.
- HBO’s SXSWestworld by Giant Spoon, New York, New York USA
VR, AR & MR
Honoring breakthroughs in augmented, virtual and mixed reality technology including the application of new hardware or software which truly make the virtual a reality.
- Fundamental Surgery by FundamentalVR, New York, New York, USA
Breakout Trend of the Event – Confronting an Era of Digital Distrust
People’s Choice Award – My Special Aflac Duck™
Best of Show – Butterfly iQ
Interactive Hall of Fame – Honoring those exceptional trailblazers whose work has helped shape the connected world and who continue to guide the direction of the digital industry. Learn about our 2019 Hall of Fame Inductee, Founder and CEO of Black Girls CODE, Kimberly Bryant.
David Carr Prize – Jordan Holtzer, UCLA School of Law | Class of 2019 (Read winning essay)
2019 Interactive Innovation Awards Winners - Photo by Miguel Esparza