600+ Sessions Announced for the 2019 SXSW Conference
Over the years, many of the most compelling SXSW sessions have come directly from our community via the SXSW PanelPicker®. Community votes, plus input from the SXSW Staff and Advisory Board, help shape the final March program. With these PanelPicker-powers combined, behold the following 600+ sessions announced for the 2019 SXSW Conference lineup.
Featuring speakers from organizations such as Amazon, CAA, Google, NASA, PBS, Gucci, ProPublica, Slack, BBC, MIT, Dell Medical School, Rotten Tomatoes, and more, the breadth of these sessions reflects the value of creativity, innovation, and inspiration across the interactive, film, and music industries with thought leaders working towards a more connected future.
"For 2019, we received so many strong speaking proposals in the SXSW PanelPicker. The Programming Staff has spent the last two months meticulously studying these ideas. The 600+ sessions in today’s announcement represent the best of the best of the best of these speaking proposals," said Hugh Forrest, Chief Programming Officer. "Many of these sessions align with the 10 trends that we think will dominate discussions in March 2019. The bottom line for all this programming is creative thinking and creative doing — which is the foundation of all aspects of SXSW.”
New for 2019, we have introduced the Blockchain & Cryptocurrency and Cannabusiness Tracks for in-depth discussions surrounding these ever-evolving industries. Between new and veteran tracks, be sure to familiarize yourself with our 25 Tracks of programming presented in a variety of session formats including Keynotes, Featured Speakers, panels, workshops, podcasts, book signings, and more.
Before diving into the hundreds and hundreds of conference sessions on the full online SXSW Schedule, explore a few sessions per Track highlighted below divided between Convergence, Interactive, Film, and Music.
Convergence Tracks grant primary access for all SXSW Badges.
March 14-16 | Navigate the technological, cultural, and political ecosystem surrounding the future of cannabis-focused enterprise
- Can We Heal Ourselves From the War on Drugs?
- The Future of Hemp and Health
- Non-Obvious Trends in the Cannabis Industry
March 8-11 | Focus on innovative city development, privacy issues, and how politics plays a role in shaping policy on all levels of government
- The Future of Government Surveillance in the US
- Generation Z Is Poised to Revolutionize Politics
- Wombats & Wood Ducks: CIA’s Secrets to Creative Problem Solving
March 8-10 | Investigate how new technology has opened up exciting avenues for storytelling
- How Books Are Fighting Back in the Digital Age
- Human Presence & Humor Make Us Better Storytellers
- Mummies to Manet: Immersive Experiments in Museums
March 11-13 | Explore ways in which technology can be leveraged to transform the industry
- Alt Proteins: Not Just Another Tech Revolution
- Cultivating the Next Generation of Food Leaders
- Tomorrow’s Perfect Food Narrative
March 8-14 | Explore how journalism, analysis, and content distribution are being impacted by technology and culture
- AI and the Future of Journalism
- Easy to Fool? Journalism in the Age of Deepfakes
- Newsrooms Need More Women: Ending Gender Imbalance
March 8-13 | Dive deep into innovations and initiatives that are contributing to a better and more equitable world
- The Dark Side of Tech: Surveillance and Propaganda
- Rising Fundamentalisms and Women's Rights
- The US Is Racist AF. What Can I Do?
March 8-10 | Tackle the future of sports in all its forms, from a cultural and technological perspective
- Adaptive Athletics: The Rise of the Super Athlete
- How Gen Z is Changing the World of Sports
- Pressing Engagements: Digital Interaction in Sport
March 11-13 | Discover new technologies and the ways they enhance how we experience the world
- Better with Friends: The Social Life of VR
- Creating Contemporary Art in Virtual Reality
- Immersion at Scale: AR/MR Will Change Everything
Interactive Tracks grant primary access for Platinum and Interactive Badges; secondary access to Film and Music Badges.
March 14-16 | The ideas, investors, leaders, policies, and tokens that will be impacting global economics and business
- Blockchain vs VC: Democratizing Access to Capital
- Designing for Blockchain: 3 Ways to Dive In
- Made in China: Crypto, Exchanges, Trust and More
March 9-14 | Learn from creative strategists in the industry on creating campaigns by way of data, neuroscience, storytelling, and tech trends
- Equal Opportunity Behind the Lens: Media Diversity
- Follow the Feeling: Brand Value in a Digital Era
- How AI is Changing Advertising in China
March 9-12 | Insight, instruction, and inspiration for engineers, developers, coders, and programmers
- Design & Build Disruptive Products for the Future
- Designing APIs for Growth
- Use Computer Code to Grow a Farm
March 8-13 | How design shapes the way we interact with technology and our world
- Black Mirror and the Power of Speculative Design
- Design for Inclusivity: How & Why to Get Started
- DesignInTech 2019
March 8-12 | Founders and funders of all stages discuss current best practices, as well as the most exciting new industry developments
- Cultivating Entrepreneurship in Challenging Places
- How Midlife Women Work Their Entrepreneurial Mojo
- Turning the Tables: Entrepreneur to Investor
March 8-12 | Tackle topics about the ever-changing workplace in and out of the office environment
- Employees as Catalysts for Corporate Change
- Going Beyond the Gender Binary in the Workplace
- So You Want to be a Change Agent: A Survival Guide
March 8-12 | Improving health through technology in the communities where we live, work, and play
- Advancing Mental Wellbeing in Communities of Color
- Hysteria No More: Data, Doctors & Women’s Health
- Silos in Healthcare are Preventing Better Outcomes
March 8-14 | Embody the realm of possibilities where intelligence empowers and enables technology
- Morphing into the Future: "Shapeshifter" Materials
- Taming the Orwellian Surveillance State
- Untold AI: Is Sci-Fi Telling Us the Right Stories?
March 8-11 | A platform for creatives in the fashion and tech industries to converge and innovate
- The Future of Performance Apparel
- How Millennials are Shaping the Future of Payments
- Retail Revolution: Brick-and-Mortar Bounces Back
March 8-13 | Join executives and leaders from a variety of industries to discuss the evolving landscape of technology-driven services
- Corporations are Failing to Innovate, or Are They?
- RIP Websites, the End is Nigh
- Simulating Criminal Hackers to Strengthen Security
Film Tracks grant primary access for Platinum and Film Badges; secondary access to Interactive and Music Badges.
March 9-12 | Exposure to high-profile speakers from the entertainment, film, and television industries
March 9-12 | Learn about the inner workings of the film and TV industries with a focus on business
- #MeToo, Now What? Looking Beyond the Hashtag
- A.I. For Storytellers: The Good The Bad & The Ugly
- Short Films Distribution: Size is Not What Matters
March 9-12 | Learn everything you need to know about film from writing to post-production, and beyond
- Creative Cohabitation
- Funding and Pitching Your Indie Episodic
- Storyboarding for Indie and Blockbuster Films
Music Tracks grant primary access for Platinum and Music Badges; secondary access to Interactive and Film Badges.
March 12-16 | New distribution models, promotional platforms, and release strategies are changing the game for indie and major artists
- Advantages of Regional Music Services Around the World
- What I Like About You: Music & Brand Partnerships
- Where Does Creativity Come From?
March 12-16 | Navigate the multifaceted and global music industry with help from experts and leaders
- Modern Adventures in A&R
- Self-Sovereignty, Open Protocols & Future of Music
- Trailerized: Music in Film & Television Marketing
March 12-16 | Discover the newest innovations and sage advice on touring and festival industry
- Converting Streaming Success to Touring Success
- Film & Music Collaborating on Broadway
- The Future of Live Experiences
Join Us for SXSW 2019
Register now to experience 10 days of programming to fuel your own creativity and career aspirations this March 8-17 in Austin, TX! Book your hotel early to get the best available housing rates and selections.
All attendees receive primary entry to programming associated with their badge type, in addition to enjoying secondary access to most other SXSW events. Take the Badge Quiz to discover which badge fits your needs, and what date you should plan to arrive in Austin, TX come March.
2018 Social & Global Impact Session, Reimagining Gun Violence Prevention – Photo by Travis Lilley