From the 2010 LPQ Archive
Drive-By Truckers bring their deep and soulful country rock sounds to our little fest along with the release of their new album, The Big To Do. I was lucky enough to rope Patterson Hood into doing The LP Questionnaire and Pick Three.
Hood, a 45-year old Aries, loves movies, songs and vinyl (records, I'm assuming). He's foul mothed but happy and describes himself as a "storyteller, guitar player, dancer."
And look how cute young Patterson was! I think that's one of my favorite parts about doing these features... seeing the informal photox people come up with. This one's a gem.
You can catch Drive-By Truckers on Thursday, March 18 at 10.30 at Stubb's. I know I state the obvious but their show with Band of Horses and Broken Social Scene promises to be one of the highlights of SXSW.
Now, have a gander at the F-word laced LP Questionnaire and Pick Three of Mr. Patterson Hood. It's a goodie.
The LP Questionnaire
Name: Patterson Hood
Pro Wrestling Name: Cardiac Sweet Cakes. I like that. I'm going to ask Cooley to start referring to me as Cardiac Sweet Cakes.
1. Pretend you’re 15. Name three songs you'd put on a mix tape for your girlfriend/boyfriend. Girls didn't like me when I was 15 (in 1979 Goddammit!). But my imaginary girlfriend (her name was probably Stacy or perhaps Stacey) would be all worked up by my grand slam Maxell XLII-C90 leading off with The Cars - "Candy O" (title cut) pounding into Springsteen's "Candy's Room" and ending with Petty's "Here Comes My Girl," which is sweeter than candy. I didn't get much pussy as a teenager but I had impeccable taste in music.
2. Which evil villain would make the best President? Evil villains don't make "best" Presidents (we just had that diabolical Cheney and his hapless sidekick screwing us for the last 8 years. Remember?)
3. What was your favorite cartoon as a child? Monstro The Whale. Cruella DeVille. Malificent (from Sleeping Beauty), Looney Tunes. Was watching Daffy Duck with my then 3-year old daughter and after watching him go through his various abuses she asked, "Why doesn't he just fly away? I mean he IS a duck."
4. What superpower do you wish you had? Flying at the speed of sound would be very helpful in balancing being on the road with raising two children.
5. What would the title of your autobiography be? The Stubborn and Relentless Obsessions of a Late Bloomer. Perhaps Better Late Than Never
Howe Gelb and the Band of Gypsies: Because he's fucking great and an amazing entertainer.
Spoon: I did sound for them one night in Athens a decade and a half ago and they were really good then, but I think their new album is fantastic. If I had a better chin I'd shave off my beard.
Centro-matic: Because they're one of my favorite fucking bands in the world and they still manage to keep getting better every year anyway.
Thanks, as ever, for reading. Please do follow us on that tweety thing @sxsw and @mspark. Keep up with all the LPQ/P3 action here. Oh, oh! You can email us, too. Send hit man monkeys to email@example.com.
My lava lamp is not producing lava, lp