Berlin based band Ballet School (whoa alliteration) bring their dreamy new wave pop beats to our shores this March, and I know we're all quite excited to hear their fabulousness in all its live glory.
Singer Rosie Blair seems like a super fun and thoughtful gal. Her up and coming band, formed from a magical moment on the U-Bahn, is one of the don't miss acts this year. I mean, Grimes loves them, you guys!
Have a look at Rosie's LPQ and we think you, too, will fall in <3 with Ballet School.
The LP Questionnaire
Name: Rosie Blair
Do you have any nicknames? Most people call me Rosie in Berlin. People who know me from London call me Ros. But I prefer Rosie. My brother calls me BR because I'm left-handed and like most left handed kids when I was learning to write I went thru a phase where I wrote everything backwards. My real name is Rosalind, after the polymorphous heroine in Shakespeare's As You Like It. My mum read it when she was pregnant and thought it was very gothic and beautiful but apparently people only call me this when I've been horrendously naughty.
1. Pretend you’re 15. Name three songs you'd put on a mix tape for your girlfriend/boyfriend. Omg. I was the kween of mix tapes at 14. I'm still really into glittery stickers in journals. But three songs.... DEFFO something by Tori Amos. Something from Boys For Pele. God I loved her. Can you see me with my cherry red hair and my effing brown skirt warbling away in my bedroom?
Later on I had a boyfriend. He was 24 when I was 17, like Lorde. This is why I'm not worried about Lorde. She is just THE ULTIMATE vindication. Standing there with David Bowie. Anyway - Let me think up a deep cut. Like, I'm remembering how good RnB was in this era. All the amazing songs that were on daytime radio in Northern Ireland... I used to listen to Trevor Nelson's RnB chart show on a Saturday afternoon on Radio 1 and tape a bunch of them. I remember that was where I first heard Joe, Ride Wit U. That is one of my all time fave songs. The beat is just excellent.
Then.. Red House Painters. After Richey Manic said he liked them, I was into them. I have put them on soooo many mix tapes for boys. "All Mixed Up." So profound. Gets them EVERY TIME.
2. Which evil villain would make the best President? Me, darling. Me. My tabloid handle would be 'The Vile Goddess'.
3. What was your favorite cartoon as a child? My first crush ever was the cartoon Mark G-force. I bought a costume and dressed up like him. This is a theme in my life. When I really really really like a boy, I don't try and get him, I try and be him. I'm really glad because this means instead of getting my heart broken I can play guitar.
4. What superpower do you wish you had? The power to sell records.
5. What would the title of your autobiography be? Rosiepedia: Cool Beans Edition. I then I would just toss off all the millions of facts I know about music. No celebrity stories, no marriages, just Irish colloquialism and music trivia.
Schwarz Dont Crack: They are very good friends of ours and also based in Berlin. They are a genius young producer called Sebastiann Kreis and a legendary vocalist called Ahmad Larnes. Crazy talent.
Dena: I have to rep the Berlin crew. Dena is a sensational pop star from Bulgaria. You are not even ready.
Kaytranada: I love love love Kaytranada. PLEASE GOD let me see his show. Gives me LIIIIFE!!
Thanks, as ever, for joining us this fine afternoon. There are many more of these fine interviews to be savored and pondered at the ol' LPQ Archive
Explanation points, lp